Glenorie is a semi-rural suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia 44 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district in the local government areas of The Hills Shire and Hornsby Shire. Glenorie is part of the Hills District.
The original inhabitants of the Glenorie area were known as the Darug people. The Darug were the custodians of the majority of what is now the Greater Sydney region. They were divided into a number of different clans. These clans were reduced in number after European settlement and, as a result there is very little information remaining on how the local area was utilised or how the people lived.
Glenorie was originally part of Dural and later known as North Dural. The name caused confusion for the post office and in April 1894, local resident William Black offered the Colony's Postmaster General two names: Hazeldene and Glenorie. The name Glenorie was accepted because it had the support of the local progress association. Glenorie was named after a known and popular town in Scotland.
North Dural Post Office opened on 1 August 1894 and was renamed Glenorie on 1 October 1894.